Sunday, 24 December 2017
PREPARE: Pork Stroganoff
- 1 1⁄2 Kgs pork tenderloin, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 l Kg white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium white onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (optional)
- In a shallow non metal dish, mix together lemon juice, lime juice, honey, and dry mustard. Add pork strips and mix to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1-8 hours.
- Remove pork and discard remaining marinade.
- Melt the butter and oil in heavy frying pan.
- Add onions and cook to soften for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Remove the onions with a slotted spoon to a small bowl.
- Increase pan heat to medium high, when hot add pork, stirring continuously until browned.
- If the pork seems too crowded in your frying pan,you can fry the pork in 2 batches and just add it back to the pan when done browning.
- Add mushrooms, onions, mustard, and wine. Bring to a vigorous simmer.
- Add the creme fraiche and season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to vigorous simmer and cook until reduced to a creamy consistancy.
- Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream.
- Serve over a bed of rice, noodles, chapatti, matooke (plantains) or ugali.